Honey Helps Heal

Honey in Wound Management

honey jar
Significant research is being carried out to study the benefits of honey in treating wounds. Nursing Standard provides some of these benefits in the document – The benefits of honey in wound management.

These have been given below:

• Honey possesses antimicrobial properties.
  • It helps in promoting autolytic debridement.
  • It deodorizes malodorous wounds.
  • It speeds up the healing process by stimulating wound tissues.
  • It helps in initiating the healing process in dormant wounds.
  • Honey also helps in promoting moist wound healing.

The healing powers of honey are not hyped. The Waikato Honey Research Unit provides details about the world-wide research that is being carried out on the benefits of honey in medicine.

Further, BBC reported in July, 2006 that doctors at the Christie Hospital in Didsbury, Manchester are planning to use honey for faster recovery of cancer patients after surgery. Such research will provide scientific evidence to the so-called beliefs held by honey lovers all over the world and help in propagating benefits of honey to more people.

7 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

vitareply
August 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I just love honey in hot milk or tea, not only, when I have a cold, even if it is cold outside! It works always to get well soon!

Laurareply
August 22, 2009 at 10:08 AM

This might sound like a silly question, but I’m really wondering. I tried clicking on the links but still didn’t find an answer—are you talking about eating honey to help with wound management, or actually putting honey on a wound?

Laurareply
August 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Oh I think I found my answer in the facts about honey and your health article! It says that honey is soothing for minor burns, so that must mean you put it directly on the wound. I guess it is true that a lot of good lotions and lip balms have honey and beeswax in them. I think I’ll try honey next time I burn myself when I’m cooking!

JMusserreply
August 22, 2009 at 01:08 PM

Laura,

Very interesting about the longevity of honey that is associated with its healing abilities. Honey has been found hundreds of years old that is still eatable. So it is a natural preservative and other harmful bacteria’s doest seem to effect it. This is turn helps us.

JM

2B!reply
August 25, 2009 at 05:08 PM

Wow, and I only thought Honey was good to eat. Gotta try that the next time I get a scratch or something. Or maybe on my dry skin. Always like the milk and honey creme soap and shampoo. Now they tell us it is extremely healthy. Thank you for the information.

josharmstrongreply
August 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Great insight!… So it’s also antimicrobial, which means that it fights germs as well. Who knew bee spit was that powerful!

greenthumbreply
May 04, 2012 at 06:05 AM

Interesting! I never knew that honey can aid the healing process. Now there’s a better use for it aside from a pancake syrup 😀