Organic versus Non-Organic Fruits and Vegetables

organic foods

The National Organic Program, which is the governing body of organic products, is rigorous about what foods constitute as organic. Organic foods can not be processed and can not contain or come in contact with any additives which have been strongly debated over in recent years. Certain organic foods such as fruits and vegetables are considered to be healthier because they contain nutrients that are generally lost during most food manufacturing processes. Many times, food corporation marketing strategies tend to promote products as being “natural” and “organic” but they are sometimes misleading to the consumers. Natural foods, another common food nomenclature, are also defined by the way the food is produced. These products may not contain additives, including color, man-made substances, or any additional preservatives. Natural foods are not the same as organic foods despite their similarities.

Increased Popularity in Organic Foods

Organic fruits and vegetables are becoming more popular around the world. As people become more health conscious, they are aware of what is going on in the environment and the potential unknown risks involved with consuming processed foods over time. Research shows that in the last 60 years, there are more toxins found in our environment than ever before. These toxins are often ingested and absorbed into the bloodstream and attach themselves to human skin and tissue. For example, products, such as milk, could ultimately be harmful to the human body if the cows producing the milk are injected with growth hormones, used to increase milk production. Fruits and vegetables that have been sprayed for pest management and fertilization may contain, and sometimes absorb, the dangerous chemicals used in the sprays which could possibly lead to potential health risks.

Healthier Eating and Healthier Living

Eating certified organic foods can reduce the amount of toxins ingested into the body and allow people to receive more nutrients from the fruit and vegetables compared to their processed counterparts. Organic produce also contains more vitamins, minerals, and enzymes the human body needs to stay healthy. It is a common misconception that organic foods cost more than non-organic foods; however, the reality is that purchasing non-organic foods from farmers will cost consumers triple the amount due to the taxation from the grocery stores, and the money collected to maintain and repair the environment that is being harmed by the pollution from non-organic farming practices. Organic farming uses preventative measures to avoid the need to use pesticides and chemicals and helps create a more sustainable environment.

Long-Term Benefits of Organic Produce

Orgsales

While the effects of chemical pollution may not be readily evident to human health, the chemicals can build up inside the body and cause problems down the line. There could be long-term physiological and neurological damage to the body. It is also suspected that the antibiotics and growth hormones injected into animals can lead to human obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and autism.

As organic produce becomes more common, it is easier to find such produce in mainstream grocery stores. To be ensured that produce is certifiably organic, visiting farmer’s markets and health food stores may provide the most reliable, organic produce and foods.

12 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

smreply
August 25, 2009 at 01:08 AM

I have known for some time that organic produce is healthier for you. Thank you for the info supporting the benefits of organic. It would be helpful, I think, to show a comparison of nutrients between organic and non-organic produce.

hedges1reply
August 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Organic tastes better to me too!

2B!reply
August 25, 2009 at 05:08 PM

Well, I always thought that organic foods were too expensive. But after reading this I may reconsider. With more and more people producing organic foods, the prices have come down a lot. Back to basics.

charityreply
August 25, 2009 at 09:08 PM

It’s so CRAZY that what is grown easier and better for us is more expensive. What is wrong with that picture? I love the organic things YES they do taste better!

charityreply
August 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I also like this way of keeping fit because a certain amount of Sun is good for you and you get out and get some of that vitamin “D” from the sun!

go.greenreply
August 27, 2009 at 01:08 PM

What is the difference between all natural and organic?

Also, to quote:

go.greenreply
August 27, 2009 at 01:08 PM

You said: “It is a common misconception that organic foods cost more than non-organic foods; however, the reality is that purchasing non-organic foods from farmers will cost consumers triple the amount due to the taxation from the grocery stores, and the money collected to maintain and repair the environment that is being harmed by the pollution from non-organic farming practices.”

That is very interesting; I’ve never heard that before. I suppose it makes alot of sense though.

D.E.reply
August 27, 2009 at 01:08 PM

I began to look into what is really in the foods I was eating, and I was SHOCKED. One of the things that really suprised me was “enriched grains” and “enriched flours.” To make an enriched grain, they have to take the time to take out all the beneficial stuff from the grain, and then replace it with synthetic things and then they use it or make it into flour…. why waste all that extra time when a grain in its natural form is so much healthier?? I only buy breads with 100% whole grain and no artificial sweeteners in it (such as high fructose corn syrup). Look for sweeteners like sugar or molasses.

D.E.reply
August 27, 2009 at 01:08 PM

Did I mention how BAD high fructose corn syrup is for you?? And splenda… don’t even get me started on splenda. you can get more information about that here: http://www.feingold.org/PF/splenda.html

This site is a great help and everyone should seriously consider listening to this man and start growing your own food! Its for your health!!

greenthumbreply
May 04, 2012 at 06:05 AM

Most of the grocery tends to say they are selling “fresh and organic” foods. I think growing your own crop will guarantee you that you’re really munching on organic foods instead of commercialized products.

My Homepagereply
August 19, 2012 at 09:08 AM

… [Trackback]…

[…] Read More here: aquaponicsandearth.org/2009/08/organic-versus-non-organic-fruits-and-vegetables/ […]…

Georgianareply
January 30, 2014 at 01:01 PM

Cool posts and type of publishing. I’m sure I’ll come back here down the road and find out what else
you have got in store! 😉 Now i’m heading to find if my hubby and I may come up with
something relevant to healthy food for kids activities!!

my web site; antiaging food reverse aging