Instructions for making your own organic substrate!
JOHN MUSSER’S CINDERBLOCK GARDENING
SYSTEM IN SEVEN EASY STEPS
ITEMS THAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 1—Large Mixing Trough (one that is big enough to re-hydrate and mix in).
- 1—Shovel (a flat – rounded on the edges works best).
- 3—Five Gallons Pails – food grade.
- 1—Bag of *Living Microbe Compost
- 1—Bag of *Microbe Accelerator (full bag)
- 1—10 lb. *Block of Coco Fiber
- 1—Bag of *Vermiculite
- 3—Bags of Mushroom Compost
*Sold at the AESL store.
1. Mix one package of Living Microbe Compost and one package of AESL Microbe Accelerator into one five gallon pail of non-chlorinated water.
2. Stir well and pour this five gallon mix into a food grade plastic container that will hold 20 plus gallons (pictured below).
3. Add two more five gallon pails of non-chlorinated water into the container and stir.
4. Put your coco fiber in the middle and re-hydrate. It will take about one hour. Turn over from time to time.
5. Once the coco fiber is re-hydrated, add one bag (4 cu. ft.) of vermiculite and three bags of mushroom compost.
6. Mix thoroughly with shovel or hands and put into cinder-blocks, raised beds, and containers, etc.
7. Add plants or seeds!